Recognizing GPYHA team and individual accomplishments. If you have something to post please send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Midget A Black team won the State Championship and will compete in the USA Hockey Nationals in Hartord, CT.
• Mite A team won the NRI Thanksgiving Tournament championship by defeating Framingham, MA , 4-0.
• Squirt A2 team won the Falmouth Fall Clipper Classic Tournament championship by defeating the Cape Cod Canal Sharks, 2-1 in 2 overtimes.
• PeeWee A2 team won the 2013 Challenge Cup tournament in Marlboro, MA by defeating Long Island, NY, 3-2.
• The PeeWee A2/B team won the State Championship defeating Newport, 1-0.
• PeeWee A team was runner-up in the State Championship game versus NRI.
• The Bantam A team won the State Championship defeating Woonsocket, 4-3 and competed in the Tier II Nationals.
• The PeeWee A2/B team defeated Westfield, MA to win the Championship of the NRI Vikings Thanksgiving Tournament. The team battled-back from a 2 goal deficit with under 4 minutes to play and won in OT, 6-5.
• The PeeWee A2/B won the Martha's Vineyard tournament.
• The Girl's U14 team - runner-up in the State Championship game versus the Warwick.
• The Midget A team - runner-up in the State Championship game versus the Edgewood.
• Mite A team won the State (Silver) Championship defeating CLCF, 3-2 in 4 overtimes.
• The first half Bantam A team (RI State runner-up) competed at the Tier II Sectionals in Stowe, VT. The Bears went 1-1-1, and advanced to the Semi-finals but lost to a tough Darien, CT team.
• Warwick/ Providence U14 co-op team won the State Championship defeating the Panthers U14, 2 games to 0. They also represented Rhode Island at the Tier II New England Regionals in New Hampshire.
• Squirt A team was runner-up in the State Championship game versus West Bay. They also represented Rhode Island at the Tier II New England Regionals in Augusta, ME. The Bears advanced to the semi-finals at the tournament.
• The PeeWee A's brought home Silver from the Waterville Valley (NH) Deep Freeze Tournament.
• The Squirt A's, B's and C's, all captured Gold medals at the Icebreaker Tournament held in West Springfield, MA. Our Bantam A's also brought home Silver.
• Bantam A's were runner-up in the RIAHA State Championship game versus the Woonsocket North Stars.
• PeeWee B's were runnerup in the Halloween Classic. The team finished the round robin at 2-1 and lost to a tough Woonsocket team in the finals by the score of 5-2.
• The Girls U12 Providence/Woonsocket co-op team placed second at the Warwick Thanksgiving tournament. The team lost in the finals to Warwick 4-3.
• Squirt A team won the State Championship defeating Newport, 1-0. They also represented Rhode Island at the Tier I New England Regionals in Smithfield, RI.
• Mite A team won the State (Gold) Championship defeating NRI, 6-4.
• Mite B team was runner-up in the State Championship game versus Pawtucket.
• Bantam B team captured first place in the state league standing with a record of 7-1-2
• Squirt B team won the Ryan Mone Memorial Hockey Tournament in Martha's Vineyard. They beat Martha's Vineyard 3-1 in the Championship game. Liam Boudrealt had a goals against average of 1.25 for the tournament!
• Squirt A team for brought home the gold from the John McKeon Tournament in Connecticut. Jack "The Clamdigger" Dolan scored the winning goal!
• Congrats to our Peewee A team that played a tough championship game against Newburyport. It was a nail-biter to the very end.
• Girls U12 team brought home the gold from the Thanksgiving tournament at Lorio Arena in Walpole, MA. The Junior Bears came out on top of seven teams by winning four games in a row, including two shut-outs by goaltender Tessa Griffin!
• Mite C team brought home the gold from the NRI Thanksgiving Tournament.
• Squirt A team brought home the gold from The Holy Name Tournament in Springfield, MA.
• Squirt A team brought home the Gold in the Halloween Classic in Woonsocket.
• Mite A team brought home the Silver from The Holy Name Tournament in Springfield, MA.
• The Bruins won the House League Championship defeating the Flyers, 2-1.
• Jack Dolan skated around the Boston Garden with Cam Neely during the intermission between the 2nd and 3rd periods and his photo with his mom Angie and sister Meaghan was displayed on the jumbo video screen.
• Alex Newton (Squirt A) won $2,000 worth of gift certificates by winning the center-ice shooting contest at the Brown/Cornell game. Alex was selected to take a single shot from the center ice face-off circle. He lined-up and wristed a shot 90+ feet into the open net.
Barrington High School
Rui Perreira - 1st Team All Division 1A
Erik Egge - 1st Team All Division 1A
Collin Fay - 3rd Team All Division 1A
Joseph Judge - Hobey Baker Award Winner
Cumberland High School
Michaelangelo Federici - 1st Team All Division 2
East Providence High School
Trevor Medeiros - 3rd team All Division 3 North
Mt Hope High School - Division 3 Champions
Tyler Silva (D3 Championship Series MVP!)
• The Canadiens defeated the Flyers in a very close and very hard fought House League Championship game.
• Mite C team brought home the gold at the Mosquito Tournament in Woonsocket.
• Mite A team brought home the Silver in the RI State Championship Game. They were defeated 5-1, by a tough Edgewood team.
• Girls' U16 team competed this weekend in the New England Regional Championships in Exeter, NH. After two wins and a loss in the opening round, they finished third for the entire tournament.
• Both GPYHA Girls' U12 and U16 teams represented RI at the Tier II Regionals.
• The U12 team this past weekend faced SRI in the Semi-Finals and the very next day in the Championship game. They won in overtime with a 3-2 score. Congrats to the U12 girls who will be heading to Connecticut this weekend for the Tier II Regionals. The head coach for the U12 team is John Kraunelis.
• The U16 team lost a tough game to the RI Panthers in the Championship game, but they will be representing RI in the Tier II Regionals this weekend in New Hampshire. The head coach for the U16 team is Doug Carlson. Great job coaches.
• Squirt B team brought home the Silver in the State Championships. It was a hard fought game that came down to OT to decide the winner.
• Squirt B team finished first in the division and won a much deserved bye in the first round of the playoffs.
• Squirt B team brought home the Bronze from the Martha's Vineyard tournament.
• Girls U16 team lost a hard fought game against the Panthers in the RI State Championships. They represented RI at the Tier II Regionals in NH.
• Congratulations to Elyse Dunbar and Meghan Miller for being chosen for the Yankee Conference Team.
• Congratulations to Miranda Gohh and Raquel Pennoyer (U16) for making the Yankee Conference Team.
• Squirt A team that brought home the Silver from the Tourney in the Woods.
• Mite C team that brought home the Silver from the Edgewood Holiday Classic.
Congratulations to Our Mite A team for bringing home silver from the West Bay Thankgiving Classic. They played a tough Reading Team in the finals.The Peewee A team brought home gold after besting the Taunton Brewins in the finals of the Thanksgiving Classic. They swept the tournament with a 4-0 record. This is back to back gold for the Peewee A team! Also special recognition goes out to several of the A players who swept the skills competition. The relay team consisted of Zach Anderson, Brett Fay, CJ Masterson and Matt Calitri. The Shoot out competition was won by Joe Lombardi and Keith Faria. Congratulations to both teams and our skills competitors.
• GPYHA had three teams attend the Ice Breaker Tournament in Springfield this weekend and three teams made the finals. The Mite B lost a tough Championship game to the Newport Whalers but came away with the Silver. The Peewee A team swept the tournament with a 4-0 record to bring home the Gold. Our Peewee B brought home the silver after losing a tough game against Southern Maine. Congratulations! Go Bears!!!
• Squirt A team brought home the Silver from Black Cat Tournmant
• Mite A team brought home the Gold from the Black Cat tournament.
• Peewee A team brought home the Silver from Michael Cronin Tournament.
• Mite A brought home the Gold from the Halloween Classic in Woonsocket. The Bears battled back from a 3-0 third period deficit to finish regulation time in 3-3 tie. After a 5 minute sudden death OT the game remained tied at 3-3. After a 5 player shoot out where each team scored one goal the game was still tied at 4-4. Four additional players took their chances during the sudden death shoot out. The Bears scored the final goal to win the championship 5-4!
• Congratulations to both of our Girls teams for being the Champions in the Fight Like a Girl Tournament in West Wawick this weekend. The U16 team also competed in the Skills Competition and won the Relay and Goalie contests and placed second in the shoot out.
• Nick Petracca and Tao Ishizuka represented GPYHA at the Mini One-on-One at the TD Bank North Garden and won the Mite Championship!
• Lindsey Given (Girls' U16 team) is also on the Lasalle Academy team that won the high school championship for Division 2. Lauren Lanoie is also on the Lasalle team and she has played on the GPYHA Girls' U14 team in the past.
• Elizabeth "Biz' Scala scored the winning goal for the Bay View team that won the Division 1 State championship. Biz has played on our Girls' U12 and U14/16 team and several of the Boys' teams as well.
• GPYHA Midget A players Rui Pereira, Tom Casanova, Collin Fay, Shane Studley, Phillip Rizzuto and Eric Egge, Midget B players Steve Flaherty and Ethan Lundgren and Bantam A players Chris Calitri and Bradley Starr were members of the Division 1A Regular Season Champion and State Finalist Barrington High School Eagles Hockey team.
• Congratulations to Rui Pereira on being selected to the Rhode Island Hockey Coaches Association All Division team. Rui, a junior, was selected to the third team
• Congratulations to Billy Egge, Tyler Silva and Scott MacGovern who play on the Mount Hope High School team that played in the High Championship Game for the Division III.
• Congratulations to both the West Bay Islanders and the GPYHA Jr. Bears Mite C team for an outstanding State Championship Game. Both teams played with such composure and tenacity. Halfway thru the third period Jack Dolan made a great shot on net for the game winning goal. The Bears goalie, Cam Anderson, made some of the most incredible saves. The win, however, was definitely a team effort. Congratulations to the players and coaches of the Mite C Gold Rhode Island State Championship Team!
• Mite B brought home the Silver in State Championship game against a strong Pawtucket team.
• Mite A team that went undefeated in the State Playoffs and beat an incredibly tough Newport team to win the State Championship title.
• The Championship games had the Flyers battling the Canadians. It was amazing to see the great passes and incredible defense. The goaltending was second to none. At the end of regulation play it was a 3-3 tie and then went into a six minute overtime period. Both teams battled back and forth. The game winning goal came from Andy Ide in the final minutes of the overtime period propeling the Canadians into the winner's circle. Congratulations to both teams for creating the best House League Final ever!!
• Squirt B team brought home the Silver in the Central Division Championship game. They lost a hard fought game 3-1 to NRI.
• Congratulations to our Midget players for their recent high school hockey accomplishments. Tyler Green Scored the game winning goal in triple overtime to put Barrington in the Division 1A finals. Alex Fay assisted on that goal. Matt Jones scored the game tying goal for Cumberland and Jonny Pora scored the game winning goal in overtime advancing Cumberland into the D2 Finals. All four players were members of the Midget A team last fall. Great Job!
• Congratulations to our Bantam B Team that won the Enfield Spring Hockey Tournament this past weekend. They won three hard fought games to make it into the finals. They went on to beat Hudson Valley NY in the final 4-2.
• Mite C team made it to the final round of the Grafton Laker Youth Hockey tournament and lost in a tough final game. They brought home the Silver to GPYHA! Congratulations to both teams on an outstanding job!
• Three players from the Midget A team (Alexander Fay of Barrington, Matthew Jones of Cumberland, and Kyle Croke of East Providence)were selected for the Hobey Baker High School Character Award. Started in 2003 and supported by high school coaches, this award is presented to the player on each High School team that most exemplifies the values and traits of Hobey Baker himself. Character, Commitment, Teamwork, Persistence, Selflessness, Academic Excellence and Sportsmanship. The Team before me. Another outstanding job by our GPYHA players.
• Mite C and Bantam A team grabbed Silver at the Central Mass Winter Classic in Marlboro, MA. Congratulations to the Mite A Team for their recent victory in the New England Sports Center March Classic hosted this weekend in Marlboro.
• Our Mite A team also took Silver at the Holy Name Tournament, Gold at the West Bay Thanksgiving Classic in November, and Bronze in the Congressional Cup in Washington, D.C.
• Our PeeWee A2 Team won the Ice Breaker Tournament in November and our Girl's U14/16 team won the Casco Bay Tournament in January.
• Raquel Pennoyer, who is on the Girls U12 team, was selected for the RI U14 Yankee Conference Team. Alexis Severance, also on the Girls U12 Team, was selected as an alternate on the RI U14 Yankee Conference Team. Collin Fey and Brendan Tracy, who are both on the Bantam A team, were selected for the 2008 Boy's Yankee Conference Team.
• Kelly Kraunelis and Meghan Miller, who are on the Girls U12 team, were chosen for the RI U10 Showcase team. Their team won their division in the Polar Bear Tournament in December and the Charles River President's Day Tournament. Congratulations to all! Great Job!